General Motors Belgium was founded in 1924 under the name General Motors Continental and built Chevrolets in Fortuinstraat in Antwerp. In 1926 the assembly activities moved to the "Velodroom" and in 1929 the company relocated to Antwerp harbour. This factory was completely destroyed by bombing in WWII and GM had to go back to the "Velodroom".
In 1953 GM opened its new installations on the Noorderlaan in Antwerp, later known as "Plant 1". In 1967 GM further expanded its Antwerp establishment with "Plant 2". In 1988, the production of both establishments was combined in Plant 2.